Things To Do In NYC In September & Weather
September is one of the best months to visit New York. It’s often warm enough to wear a short sleeve or light shirt during the day time and a light sweater in the evening. The sun doesn’t set until after 7pm for the first half of the month, giving you long days and great weather to take advantage of all the things to do in New York in September.
Labor day (the first Monday of the month) is a national holiday. After that, children are back in school so fewer families are traveling which means fewer crowds and shorter lines at attractions.
There are many outdoor events and activities to enjoy such as parades, festivals like San Gennaro in Little Italy, and sporting events (like the US Open). The General Assembly of the United Nations meets the week of September 13th, 2022. This means many world leaders will visit the city. This leads to increased security and traffic. Beware if you are on the East side of Manhattan specifically between 34th street and 59th street between 1st and 5th Avenue. But not to worry, the subway is a sure way to avoid traffic. Hotel prices rise during the General Assembly and the US Open but otherwise, look out for good deals.
And of course, book a Streetwise New York Tour to get a real insight into the local life and history of New York’s neighborhoods. We adjust the route to your interests and pace.
See our full list of things to do in New York in September below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time to come to New York?”
Weather in New York City in September
September is one of the most pleasant times of year to travel to New York weather-wise. The average high temperature is 75F (24C) and the average low is 61F (16C). While the beginning of the month, is summer-like, the temperature rarely rises above 90F (32C). The end of the month becomes more fall-like, but rarely cold enough that a sweater or a light jacket wouldn’t suffice.
While it rains on average 7 days a month in September, it is rare to have significant rain storms like in July and August.
How to pack for New York in September
While it is possible that you will have shorts and t-shirt weather in New York in early September, for the most part, you’ll want to wear pants/skirts. For the daytime t-shirts or lightweight long sleeves are best, but carry with you a sweater or light jacket, as the temperature drops at night.
What to do in New York in September
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and September specific events and deals. Take advantage of some of the best weather of the year.
- Labor Day (National Holiday Sep 5, 2022)
- West Indian Day Parade/J’Ouvert (Large Carnival like event in Brooklyn Sep 5, 2022)
- San Gennaro Festival (11 day traditional festival in Little Italy)
- Smorgasburg (Popular Outdoor Food Festival- rotating weekly locations)
- Queens Night Market (Popular Food Market with International cuisine and music)
- Armory Show (Important International Art Exhibition Sept 9 – Sept 11, 2022)
Music and Entertainment
- Broadway Week (2 X 1 tickets to select shows. Dates Pending)
- Off-Broadway Week (2 X 1 tickets to select shows. Dates pending)
- Met Opera
- New York Philharmonic
- New York Ballet (Dates Pending)
- Electric Zoo (Large Electronic Music Festival Sep 2 – 4, 2022)
- US Open Tennis at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park
- Major League Baseball: Yankees or Mets game.
- NFL Football: Giants or Jets game.
- MLS Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game.
- Minor League Baseball: Brooklyn Cyclones or Staten Island Yankees game (first week of September).
- WNBA Basketball (Women’s league): New York Liberty game.
- Coney Island Cyclone and Luna Park (date pending)
- Queens Farm Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch (Sept 16 – Oct 29, 2022)
- September 11th Anniversary