Things To Do In NYC In October & Weather
Fall has arrived. The weather is cooler and perfect for walking the city streets. It is perhaps the prettiest time of year and there are plenty of things to do in New York in October. The leaves are changing colors, perfect to take a stroll through Central Park. Apples, pumpkins, and squash fill the Union Square Farmers Market on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. If you’re more of a night owl, you can check out the Halloween Parade through Greenwich Village. Animal lovers can get in on the Halloween spirit as well. Check out the Halloween Dog Parade and St. Francis Day at St. John the Divine Cathedral where you can see your favorite furry friends in costume.
October is also a great time for the sports fan to visit. Professional hockey, football, and basketball are getting underway. The baseball season has entered the playoffs and hopefully at least one of our New York teams has advanced. Ice Skating rinks are opening up for those of you who want to get out there and get a little exercise yourself.
And of course, book a Streetwise New York Tour to get a real insight into the local life and history of New York’s neighborhoods. We’ll adjust the route according to your interests and pace.
See our full list of deals, events, and things to do in New York in October below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time to come to New York?”
Weather in New York City in October
Fall in New York is a beautiful time of year. The temperatures are cooler, an average high of 64F (18 C) and an average low at night of 50F (10 C). Still, it is pleasant enough to spend night and day outdoors. Extreme weather is rare, with the temperature rarely reaching 32 F (0 C) or rising to 90F (32 C).
New York doesn’t have rainy or dry seasons, but October on average has the least amount of rain. On average, it rains six days a month in October in New York. While I do remember snow on one Halloween (October 31st), it is extremely rare for snow in October.
How to pack for New York in October
Pack long pants/skirts, long sleeves, sweaters, and medium warm coats. A warm hat just in case may come in handy. Normally, it’s nice enough that you can spend all day and night outside, whether checking out the fall foliage or enjoying a hot cider on a sidewalk café.
Still, come prepared for rain with a rain jacket, waterproof shoes and an umbrella just in case.
What to do in New York in October
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and January-specific events and deals. Take advantage of the Fall and Halloween-related activities in New York.
- St. Francis Day Fair with Pet Blessings and the Great Animal Costume Parade (St. John the Divine October 2nd)
- Columbus Day Parade (Large Italian American parade down 5th Avenue Oct 10, 2022)
- Indigenous People’s Day (Events organized by indigenous groups Oct 9 – 10, 2022)
- Hispanic Day Parade (5th avenue parade of Spanish speaking people, date pending)
- Hot Sauce Expo (Brooklyn Oct 16 -17, 2022)
- Comic Con (Nation’s largest Comic Convention Oct 6 – Oct 9, 2022)
- Open House New York (Free Access to unique New York sites Oct 22 -23, 2022)
- Tompkins Square Halloween Dog Parade (Oct 23, 2022)
- Halloween Parade (Oct 31, 2022)
- Fringe Festival (large multi-venue alternative performance festival)
Music and Entertainment
- Met Opera
- New York Philharmonic
- New York Ballet (Dates Pending)
- American Ballet Theatre (Dates Pending)
- Major League Baseball: Post Season. Yankees or Mets game (if they advance).
- NBA Basketball: New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets game. (pre-season, season begins mid-October)
- NFL Football: Giants or Jets game.
- NHL Hockey: NY Rangers, NY Islanders or NJ Devils game.
- MLS Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game (playoff tournament begins mid-October, check if New York teams advance).
- WNBA Basketball (Woman’s league): New York Liberty game.
- Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center
- Queens Farm Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch (Sept 16 – Oct 29, 2022)
- Halloween activities and decorations in Sleepy Hollow.
Have any questions about traveling to New York in October? Or about tours with Streetwise New York? Contact us!