Things To Do In NYC In November & Weather
New York is at peak fall colors and starting to get into the holiday spirit, Thanksgiving and then Christmas. Decorations are up around the city. The NYC Marathon, Thanksgiving and Black Friday are the biggest events but throughout the month there are many things to do in New York in November.
Daylight savings time comes to an end at 2am on November 7th and the clocks falls back an hour. As the sun comes up, runners from around the world will gather at the foot of the Verrazzano Bridge to participate in the New York City Marathon covering all five boroughs of the City. Spectators gather along the course to cheer them on.
For Thanksgiving (November 25th, 2021), Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with its famous floats draws two million viewers. Make sure to make a dinner reservation for Thanksgiving dinner to partake in the tradition. The next day you can stroll along 5th Avenue to shop, view the holiday decorations and window displays in many of the stores, and visit the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center. The tree won’t be illuminated until December 1st, 2021 but the holiday spirit is in full swing.
While hotels fill up around Thanksgiving and the New York Marathon, otherwise with luck you can find better deals on rooms.
And of course, book a Streetwise New York Tour to get a real insight into the local life and history of New York’s neighborhoods. We adjust the routes based on your pace and interest.
See our full list of deals, events, and things to do in New York in November below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time to come to New York?
Weather in New York City in November
In the late autumn in New York, the temperature drops but nothing to stop you from exploring the city. The average high temperature during the day is 54F (12C) and night it drops to 42F (5C). Still, only at the end of November is it common for temperatures to fall below freezing, 32F (OC) and on average it snows once every 5 years.
While snow is highly unlikely in New York in November, it does rain on average seven days of the month.
How to pack for New York in November
You should bring long pants/skirts, sweaters, and a warm coat. Wear layers to take on and off as the weather changes throughout the day. Most likely your days will be around above 50F (10C) but be prepared for the possibility of colder weather, especially at night.
Bring waterproof shoes and an umbrella in case of rain.
What to do in New York in November
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and November specific events and deals. Take advantage of coming to New York in the fall, it is beautiful!
- Thanksgiving (National Holiday November 25th, 2021)
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (November 25th, 2021)
- Bryant Park Winter Village (Holiday Market)
- NYC Anime Convention (2021)
- New York Botanical Garden Train Show (Bronx)
- New York Comedy Festival (Nov 8 – Nov 14, 2021)
- TCS New York City Marathon (World’s largest Nov 7, 2021)
Music and Entertainment
- Met Opera
- New York Philharmonic
- NYC Ballet Nutcracker (starting after Thanksgiving, 2021)
- Rockettes Christmas Spectacular (Starting Nov 5, 2021)
- NBA Basketball: New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets game.
- NFL Football: Giants or Jets game.
- NHL Hockey: NY Rangers, NY Islanders or NJ Devils game.
- MLS Playoff Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game (check if New York teams advance).
- College Basketball at Madison Square Garden
- Ice Skating at Wollman Rink and Lasker Rink in Central Park, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, and Brookfield Place,
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree and Holiday Window displays (starting mid-November)
- Dyker Heights Christmas Lights (houses with over the top lights in Brooklyn- starting after Thanksgiving)
- Queens Farm Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch (2021 Dates Pending)
- Black Friday Shopping (November 26th, 2021)
Have any questions about traveling to New York in January? Or about tours with Streetwise New York? Contact us!