Things To Do in NYC in June & Weather
June in New York is full of parades and festivals. It’s the month with the most free outdoor entertainment.
The temperatures are heating up and days are longer. Take advantage of it with the many free outdoor things to do in New York. Be it the Pride Parade or Puerto Rican Day Parade in Manhattan or the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island, Brooklyn visitors and locals alike are out in the streets to meet new friends, eat great food, and celebrate like only New York knows how.
If you’re looking for a taste of the arts, there are music and film festivals to keep you busy. Choose from the Governor’s Ball, Summer Jam, and The Blue Note Jazz Festival. There is also plenty of free entertainment, ranging from the New York Philharmonic in the park with fireworks, to a block party at the graffiti mecca, the Bushwick Art Collective.
Or take it a little more low key, visiting museums for free during the Museum Mile Festival or by taking in a film at the Tribeca Film Festival.
See our full list of events and things to do in New York in June below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time to come to New York?”
Weather in New York City in June
June has long days and pleasant weather. During the day on average it reaches 79F (26C) and at night it drops to 64 (18F) on average. While it is summer weather, it rarely reaches over 90F (32C), on average two days a month.
On average in New York it rains eight days a month in June. Often the rain is scattered showers, and not raining all day long. It is one of the best times of the year to explore New York.
How to pack for New York in June
You should pack a mix of shorts and t-shirts, plus a couple of longer pants/skirts and long sleeves. At night, you may want to wear a sweater or light jacket as the temperature drops. Even on the hottest days, carrying a light sweater is smart as stores, museums and the subway tend to over-utilize air conditioning.
Bring sunscreen and sunglasses but be prepared for rain with a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, and an umbrella.
What to do in New York in June
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and June specific events and deals. Take advantage of coming to New York at the start of the New Year!
- Gay Pride Week and Parade (Jun 15-Jun 26, 2022)
- Puerto Rican Day Parade (Large popular parade down 5th Avenue June 12, 2022)
- Coney Island Mermaid Parade (thousands parade in mermaid costumes on the boardwalk)
- Smorgasburg (Popular Outdoor Food Festival- rotating weekly locations)
- Governor’s Ball (large musical festival Jun 10-12, 2022)
- Museum Mile Festival (Free entry and entertainment at multiple museums Jun 14, 2022)
- Tribeca Film Festival (Jun 8 – 19, 2022)
- Blue Note Jazz Festival (Month Long Jazz Festival)
- Summer Jam (Popular Hip Hop Festival)
Music and Entertainment
- Met Opera (2022)
- New York Philharmonic (2022)
- Free New York Philharmonic in parks with fireworks (bring a blanket, food and wine and enjoy!)
- Summer Stage (Free concert/performing art series in Central Park and other locations)
- Celebrate Brooklyn! (Free concert series in Prospect Park)
- River to River Festival (Free concert/performing art series in Lower Manhattan)
- GMA summer concerts (Free televised concerts at 7am in Central Park)
- Today Show summer concerts (Free televised concerts at 7am Fri in Rockefeller Center)
- Bushwick Art Collective Block Party (Free outdoor event with graffiti artists and performers Date Pending)
- Major League Baseball: Yankees or Mets game.
- NBA Basketball: New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets game. (check if either New York team advances).
- NHL Hockey Playoffs: NY Rangers, NY Islanders or NJ Devils game. (check if any New York team advances).
- MLS Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game.
- Minor League Baseball: Brooklyn Cyclones or Staten Island Yankees game (end of June).
- WNBA Basketball (Woman’s league): New York Liberty game.
- West Fourth Street Amateur Basketball Tournament
- Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (Postponed for 2022)
- Coney Island Cyclone and Luna Park
Have any questions about traveling to New York in June? Or about tours with Streetwise New York? Contact us!