Things To Do In NYC In August & Weather
August is a time to enjoy the outdoors in New York City. Many residents head to the Hamptons, which means visitors to New York get more opportunities to participate in experiences that are often sold out. August is a great time to experience New York’s cuisine whether indoors or outdoors. Festivals like Smorgasburg and the Queens Night Market give you a taste of the culinary cutting edge. Restaurant Week offers the chance to experience some higher end dining at a reduced price. Make your restaurant reservations in advance, as bookings often fill up.
Burn off those calories with outdoor music and dancing. Go to Long Island City, Queens for the “Warm Up” on Saturdays. The courtyard of MOMA PS1, has a lineup of DJs throughout the day. Admission also gets entrance to the contemporary museum itself. If electronic music isn’t your thing, Lincoln Center hosts Midsummer Night Swing, outdoor dance parties with Jazz and Salsa. And there are many free concerts throughout the city.
And of course, book a Streetwise New York Tour to get a real insight into the local life and history of New York’s neighborhoods. We’ll make sure to adjust the routes to pop into markets, cafes, architectural gems, and unique shops to keep you warm!
See our full list of deals, events, and things to do in New York in August below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time of year to come to New York”
Weather in New York City in August
August after July is the hottest month of the year. The average high temperature is 83F (29C), but extremely hot and humid days are less common, with on average only three days reaching over 90F (32C). Still, New York is extremely humid, making it feel hotter. A more tropical heat than desert-like hear.
On average, it rains seven days a month in August. But most likely, rain means late afternoon thunderstorms. Sometimes the weather forecast has chances of rain for an entire week, but it won’t rain every day and if it does it is often heavy rain for a short period of minutes.
How to pack for New York in August
You should pack summer clothing. A mix of shorts and t-shirts, plus a couple of longer pants/skirts and long sleeves. Even on the hottest days, carrying a light sweater is smart as stores, museums and the subway tend to over-utilize air conditioning. Your hotel most likely won’t have a pool, but if you want to go to one of the city’s beaches or pools, pack a swimming suit.
Bring sunscreen and sunglasses but be prepared for late afternoon thunderstorms with a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, and umbrella.
What to do in New York in August
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and August-specific events and deals. Take advantage of coming to New York at the start of the New Year!
- Restaurant Week (pre-fixe discounts at restaurants. First half of August)
- Smorgasburg (Popular Outdoor Food Festival- rotating weekly locations)
- Queens Night Market (Popular Food Market with International cuisine and music)
Music and Entertainment
- Celebrate Brooklyn! (Free concert series in Prospect Park)
- Summer Stage (Free concert series in Central Park and other locations)
- Lincoln Center Out of Doors (Free live concerts at Lincoln Center)
- Lincoln Center Midsummer Night Swing (Dance Party with live Jazz/Swing/Salsa Bands)
- GMA summer concerts (Free televised concerts at 7am from Central Park)
- Today Show summer concerts (Free televised concerts at 7am Fri in Rockefeller Center)
- MOMA PS1 Warm-up (Saturday daytime DJ outdoor part at PS 1 Queens)
- Bryant Park Movie Night (Free movies on the lawn on Monday Nights- 2022 Info Pending)
- Afropunk Festival (Music and cultural festival in Brooklyn Aug 22 – Aug 23, 2022)
- FREE US Open Tennis at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park (qualifying tournament)
- Major League Baseball: Yankees or Mets game.
- NFL Pre-season Football: Giants or Jets game.
- MLS Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game.
- Minor League Baseball: Brooklyn Cyclones or Staten Island Yankees game.
- WNBA Basketball (Woman’s league): New York Liberty game.
- West Fourth Street Amateur Basketball Tournament
Have any questions about traveling to New York in August? Or about tours with Streetwise New York? Contact us!