Things to do in NYC in April & Weather
After the winter months, New Yorkers take advantage of the Spring weather. There are plenty of outdoor things to do in New York in April! The baseball season begins, as do the seasonal outdoor markets,
Look out for Easter events like egg hunts, and the parade and bonnet festival. And see New York In full bloom! Check out Sakura Matsuri, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens Cherry Blossom Festival. Or the many Cherry Blossoms found throughout the city, at the New York Botanical garden, the city’s parks, and Roosevelt Island.
April weather is perfect for a private Streetwise New York tour. A professional local guide can give you real insights into local life and history of New York’s different neighborhoods, adjusting the tour to your interests and pace.
See our full list of deals, events, and things to do in New York in April below! If you’re considering coming to New York another month, check out our guide, “When is the best time to come to New York?”
Weather in New York City in April
In April, Spring arrives in full to New York. While you will still need a jacket on most days, it is almost never too hot or too cold. Great walking tour weather! On average, temperatures reach 61F (16C) during the day and fall to 45F (7C) at night/early morning.
While the saying goes, “April showers bring May flowers,” April with eight days a month of rain on average isn’t actual rainier than May. And while is has snowed in April, it is rare and never any significant amount.
How to pack for New York in April
You can leave your winter clothes at home! Long pants, long sleeve shirts, sweaters and medium warm coats will do the trick. Just in case of a rainy day, bring along waterproof footwear and a rain jacket.
What to do in New York in April
There are year-round activities, we recommend, like going up a skyscraper, boat rides to see or visit the statue of liberty, museums, and Streetwise New York walking tours of New York’s many can’t miss neighborhoods!
This is a list of seasonal activities and things to do in New York in April including festivals and events.
- Sakura Matsuri (Popular Cherry Blossom and Japanese Cultural festival at Brooklyn Botanical Gardens)
- Roosevelt Island Cherry Blossom Festival (also with Japenese entertainment)
- Easter Parade and Bonnet Festival (Apr 4th, 2021)
- Macy’s Flower Show (2021 dates pending)
- Smorgasburg (Popular Outdoor Food Festival- rotating weekly locations)
- Hot Sauce Expo (Brooklyn) Apr 17 -18, 2021
- Brisket King (Brooklyn) April 20, 2021
- Earth Day Events at Union Square (information pending)
- Dachshund Spring Fiesta at Washington Square Park (last Saturday in April)
Music and Entertainment
- Met Opera (2022)
- New York Philharmonic (2022)
- New York Ballet Spring Programming (Apr 19 – May 29, 2022)
- Major League Baseball: Yankees or Mets game.
- NBA Basketball: New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets game (Playoffs begin in mid-April, check if either New York team advances).
- NHL Hockey: NY Rangers, NY Islanders or NJ Devils game. (Playoffs begin in mid-April, check if any New York team advances).
- MLS Soccer: NY Football Club or a NY Redbulls game.
- Orchid Show at New York Botanical Garden (Bronx up until Apr 19, 2021)
- Various Easter Egg Hunts (for children)
Have any questions about traveling to New York in April? Or about tours with Streetwise New York? Contact us!